Monday, June 15, 2015

"Blaze" Climbing Rose - bug problems!

Edit: 3/19/2016 I put it in the fire pit the other day. All of my other rosebushes are turning green and getting bushy. This plant was still brown and very dead looking. For the record, it fought a good fight. It was transplanted 3x: the first planting in early spring (from Tractor Supply pot), 2nd to a container while I tried to determine the problem (probably some sort of mites, definitely a bug infestation), 3rd to another location in the yard. It did seem to establish itself even in the 3rd transplant, but a couple of very cold nights seemed to have been too much and she never recovered.

******* RIP Blaze, my 1st rosebush. You were loved*********  <3

I planted this rose (grafted) from Tractor Supply in March 2015. It is growing well, but about two weeks ago, I noticed a bug problem. I found small holes in the leaves, tiny black spots on the leaves, and soon the leaves began to curl. I am guessing some of the uninvited guests are thrips.  I used Sevin dust right away, but I purchased Bayer Advanced 2-1 Rose and Flower Care about a week ago. The new growth should be protected from bugs.

Here is the plant today (leaf curl, holes in leaves, and some new growth shown below). My camera wouldn't zoom in clearly for a close up of the tiny black spots, but there was still at least one leaf with the spots today.

For the record, I know bees are important. I do not use insecticides if I do not need to.





Update Nov 13, 2015: The plant just worsened as time went on. Finally I dug it up, put it in a pot, and heavily pruned. This happened in late summer. When I did that, I was able to identify the culprit - very tiny bugs that were crawling up and down the branches...too small to capture in a photo. I sprayed the remaining branches with a mixture of oils...I later bought neem oil and will be using this for such problems before I get so desperate. I replanted in a new garden spot early November. The plant had a lot of new growth at the time of planting. After planting, some of the leaves started to yellow and drop, but I think this has to do with the excessive leaf growth and the time of planting. I'm not concerned about it (now). I'm not expecting many blooms next year, but I have my fingers crossed.  








No comments:

Post a Comment