Thursday, June 4, 2015

Tractor Supply $2 Knockout Rosebush Bargains - Update

Here it is today (below), about a week later.



I think they are going to make it. Here is new growth on one of the bushes. The other as shown in the previous (first) post has two flower buds.

I'm pretty sure this plant was grown on its own root rather than grafted, so I'm optimistic by this growth at the base of the plant (above) rather than wondering about stock root. Update (about a week later) That new growth at the base shriveled and died away, but new life appeared on the other side of the cane and has taken off. See photo above.


New growth appeared a day or so after I clipped the only growing/green cane on the plant. I cut about 1/3 of it. I didn't do much of anything to the plant after I put it in the ground for the first week other than water and fertilize (fish, miracle grow, compost, and mulch). Nothing happened with this bush, but the other one seemed to be establishing itself without clipping. I started clipping a few days (obvious dead parts) to a week after planting.

Here is the plant right after I planted it (below). I felt so sorry for these plants! There were about 15 of them at Tractor Supply. All of them were pathetic looking. If there was such a thing as plant cruelty, this was it! I don't believe the plants were being watered in the dirt at all. The top of the plastic over the container was wrapped tightly in wire and only the [mostly dead] canes were exposed.

Here it is today, almost 2 weeks later (below). There are still dead canes, but I'll wait a little longer before cutting anymore. I might wait until March of 2016 before clipping the rest of them. I'm not sure yet.


Below are the before and after (almost 2 weeks later) pictures of the other Tractor Supply save.



No comments:

Post a Comment