Thursday, June 4, 2015

Tomatoes!

I had my first tomato sandwich of the season (June 10, 2015). These are Stupice (stoo peeka) tomatoes, an heirloom variety from Czechoslovakia. They do not look very pretty, but oh they were delicious! They were so sweet, 10x better than the perfect looking tomatoes from the grocery store: 5 stars for taste.  I'm in zone 7. These are early tomatoes.


I haven't yet grown a tomato from a plant I started. This year might be the first. These look healthy! I'll keep them in the pots a little while longer. These are Early Doll (hybrid) and Cherokee Purple (heirloom). I ordered the seeds from an ebay seller.

I'm getting a greenhouse next year, as well as a fluorescent light setup.

These plants were grown using only the sun, water, and homemade fish emulsion (minnows and water).


I'm pinching all of the suckers off my plants this year too. I've never done that before. I am also more aggressive about clipping the lower branches than I have ever been.



The sucker is just above the bottom branch, in the middle. Its gone from the picture just above. 


No comments:

Post a Comment