Saturday, March 19, 2016

Gardening in 2016

I have been obsessed with gardening! I think it is because I am in love and the happiness in my heart is overflowing into flower obsession. Thankfully my dear husband happily allows me to indulge in my hobby.

I think the first bulbs planted after the wedding (8/23/2014) were Virginia Bluebells, early spring of 2015. This is what really began my  new flower garden hobby, although the flowers and sunshine of spring have always made me happy. The Bluebells didn't bloom in 2015, but they are poking out now. My love for native plants remains. I just bought two Oakleaf Hydrangea starts from Tractor Supply. They are in pots waiting for an autumn transplant.

In the fall of 2015 I planted many bulbs: crocus, daffodils, tulips, iris, peonies, and many lilies. A few weeks ago, Walmart received a shipment of bare root, grafted, rosebushes. I have since purchased 8 new rosebushes over several different visits, all are planted. They were only beginning to come out of dormancy, along with the several rosebushes planted last summer.

I'm happy to say I'm really getting the how to/when to idea of planting and hardiness guides with all of my gardening. The lily bulbs from ebay went straight into the ground (March 2016) as soon as I received them as did the Crocosmia, Hot Pokers, Daylilies and  Hostas from Walmart. The begonia bulbs are in pots, along with the Elephant Ears, blackberries, Cannas, and Hydrangeas. I'll plant the blackberries in the garden in a few weeks. I'm not sure about the others except the hydrangeas. I have so many vegetable and flower seedlings growing under my new grow light setups too.

New rosebushes: Blaze (my replacement of the first ever rosebush I bought, never saw a bloom), Don Juan, Pinata (the 3 climbers). Hybrid Teas: Mister Lincoln, Proud Land, New Day, Arizona, and Heirloom.

I will be using Bayer 3-1 systemic rose and flower care this year, the first feeding after the quick and light cold snap we are expecting the next couple of days. The treatment takes care of feed, bugs, and fungus. Last year's roses are growing green very quickly, new growth from 2-5+ inches already thanks to our mild winter and early spring weather! I am going to give the first feeding at 1/2 strength. I've read that young bushes are sometimes burned from the treatment, so I'll be cautious. I am also purchasing Grub Guard (beneficial nematodes will dig in the soil and eat the grubs) to stop the breeding of Japanese Beetles. I just know I will have beautiful roses this year!

Even most of my late in the 2015 season rose bush "rescues" are doing great. I only lost 2 of 7. The other 5 are growing beautifully:  Betty Prior and 4 knockout roses of various types.

Here are some pictures of my new flower beds starting to come to life.

Va Bluebell early March. I planted 20 tubers in April 2015. I have found about 18 sprouts this Spring


Fall planted peony. March sprout.
                                       

 Dwarf Iris. I had about 20 of these blooms in early March. They are about finished this year.

The daffodils and tulips are expected to naturalize. I ordered tulips specially designed to do that.The volunteer Crab Apple (???) tree is in the top left corner. I can't wait to see those flowers!

Asiatic Lily sprouts, March 19 - double pink. 
                                           
Va Bluebell flower buds, March 19, 2016
                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment