Saturday, March 19, 2016

Volunteer Tree

I love this determined tree. It bloomed beautifully this spring, along with the hyacinths, tulips, daffodils, and Virginia Bluebells growing underneath and around. These photos were taken the end of March, early April 2017.










3/23/2016 Its starting to bloom and most definitely some sort of cherry tree! I love it.







Edited to add: I think my husband is right, a cherry tree - check the bark. Yay. How wonderful is that?

This tree was determined to live in this spot. For the last 3 or 4 years, thinking it was a weed, I have been cutting it down. It usually has many suckers and sprouts at the bottom and very fast growing. Realizing last year it is a tree and not a weed, I decided to let it grow after cutting the bottom branches because it was sprawling so much, so quickly.

As my interest and fondness for the tree grew over the summer, luck would have it that the neighbor's fence (behind the tree) would collapse and lay on top of and supported by the tree for weeks (if not months). The tree remained. It grew at a slant, and I waited for my neighbor to fix the fence. He did, only to have it collapse once more. The tree was growing at about a 50 degree angle, strong as ever.

In the summer of 2015, my husband and I decided it was probably some sort of elm tree based on the leaves.

To my delight, even bringing tears of joy to my eyes, I observed the tree yesterday morning and found it covered in pink buds. I have lived in this area for 12 years, and each year, the spring display of the many red buds take my breath away. I had never noticed them prior to moving to this area and have always planned to plant one in my yard. My husband, also only in the area for 14 years, also only noticed and loved the red bud display when he moved to the area. My first thought was I have a volunteer red bud!

After further study and conversation with Alvin, I decided it was not a red bud, but I was and still am determined to find out the type of tree set its heart on gracing my yard. I am now leaning towards crab apple, a type weeping crab apple and am anxiously awaiting the flowers. My husband thinks it is a cherry tree because of the bark.


Its trying to straighten up!  






   

No comments:

Post a Comment