Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Roses Roses Roses

I have 19 rose bushes now. 10 were planted in 2015 and I have purchased 8 in 2016 (so far). The 10 planted last year were fertilized today- 1/2 strength Bayer 3 in 1 (food, bugs, fungus).

From 2015:

2 New Dawn climbers - own root from Heirloom Roses
2 Hybrid Teas from Tractor Supply - grafted/potted
1 Zephirine Drouhin - own root from ebay
4 Knockout Roses - all rescues from end of season dying bargains (Tractor Supply and Lowes) - correction: 2 of these are drift roses.
1 Betty Prior - also a rescue bargain from Lowes

2016:

All are bare root grafted bagged roses from Walmart purchased and planted in March.

Climbing Roses:
Blaze -red
Don Juan -red
Pinata - multi (orange, red, pink)
Golden Showers - yellow

Hybrid Teas:
New Day - yellow
Mister Lincoln - red
Proud Land -red
Arizona - orange/apricot
Heirloom - lavender



Note for me: On 4/22/2016 I gave all of the new rosebushes 1/2 strength Bayer 3-1. I started to fertilize the older bushes with full strength solution, but ran out of solution. The rose bushes that still need treatment include: the two farthest knockouts bushes near the rooster coop, Betty Prior in front, and Zephirine Drouhin.

Tent Caterpillars are eating my rosebush leaves! I think the Bayer slows it down. The Pinata plant was eaten badly while I was out of town for a few days.

5/28/2016

I finished feeding the other roses a few days later (ref above post).

Today, I decided to use the Bayer again. Two of my hybrid tea roses (the two from last year) aren't blooming like they should. They are covered in buds, but as they open the edges seem a little burned and as the flowers open, the look sort of rotten. Reading about this, I thought I might have thrips which also might be why a couple of the newer bushes are wilting. So, I was about a week or two early, as I had planned, but all of the roses are fed again. Most of them got a full strength dose. I ran low, so had to ration on a few, but not much.

7/3/2016
One bottle of the Bayer is just barely enough to feed all of the current rose bushes. If I get anymore roses, I will need two bottles per feeding. Today all of them had Bayer 3-1 though the last bushes were shorted just a tad. I gave the New Dawn's a little extra because of their size.

No comments:

Post a Comment