Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Native vs Happy Non Native


Above: Virginia Bluebells (Mertensia virginica)
One of my favorite early bloomers. I planted several Virginia native bluebell roots a few years ago. They bloom with the daffodils, tulips, cherry tree, among others.

I love seeing the daffodils popping up all over the place, but I have been wondering if they are 'supposed' to be doing that. Thankfully, Blue Ridge Naturalist, Marlene Condon, author of the linked article, believes it is okay too. I guess the same applies to the Vincas that are popping up with my Virginia Bluebells and Daffodils. I'll just continue to enjoy the Vinca's lovely little blue blooms. They are back this year in greater number already so I'm going to be watching them closely! The Morning Glories that grow like crazy in my vegetable garden is another issue, but like each year, I always leave a few along towards the end of the season and enjoy the beauty and blessing of these guests. Maybe this summer I will leave a few more.

"This situation begs the question, “Should nonnative plants be considered pestiferous when they spread?” I say absolutely not in most cases, especially in back yards, along hiking trails, in meadows and fields, and by roadsides. These plants are providing an invaluable service to a degraded environment" (Condon, Marlene 2015). Crozet Gazette http://www.crozetgazette.com/2015/06/blue-ridge-naturalist-invasive-plants-invaluable-to-degraded-environment/



Vinca bloom March 22 2016

Virginia Bluebell, Daffodil, and Vinca sprouts March 22, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment